Raw honey is pure, unheated, unprocessed and not pasteurized. Raw honey maintains all the natural vitamins and nutritional benefits. The health benefits of raw honey have been known for centuries. Raw honey has been used for centuries by humans both ingested and as a topical treatment. Honey is thought to support your immune system, and help maintain healthy blood sugar and cholesterol (or maintain already healthy levels). If you find you are consuming too much refined sugar, consider switching to honey instead.
Health Benefits of Raw Honey
- Antioxidants: Raw honey contains antioxidants, almost as many as you find in fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants help protect your body from cell damage, boosts the immune system and feeds your brain cells.
- Antibacterial: Raw honey can kill bacteria and fungus. It is a natural antiseptic.
- Natural Energy: Honey contains natural sugars, which are easily absorbed by the body. This makes raw honey ideal for pre or post-workouts.
- Allergy Relief: Because raw honey contains pollen spores, it helps the body resist against certain allergens. If you suffer from pollen alergies, eating local honey helps increase your resistance.
- Sore Throat / Cough Suppressant: Honey coats the throat and helps keep it pain free by soothing the nerves. When I feel a cold coming on, I make a cup of tea with fresh grated ginger, cinnamon, a lemon slice and honey. It works for e every time.
- Digestive Health: Honey cleans your system and speeds up the liver to remove toxins from your body.
- Libido Boost: Raw honey is considered a natural aphrodisiac.
- Memory Boost: A study found that honey’s antioxidant compounds were able to prevent cognitive decline and improve circulation in the brain.
Raw honey is also being used in more and more beauty products thanks to its ability to attract and retain moisture. It is also helpful in combating acne or other bacterial blemishes due to honey’s natural antibacterial properties.
How do you know you are buying raw honey?
Unlike store bought honey, raw honey can be opaque. The color of raw honey varies slightly. Store bought honey has been altered with high fructose corn syrup, or other additives. Raw honey goes from hive to bottle, and will usually contain bee pollen. Bee pollen has been called a super-food due to its anti-inflammatory properties, its ability to boost the immune system and be protein rich.
Raw honey is considered safe for anyone over the age of 12 months to consume.
• National Center for Biotechnology Information
• Dr Axe
• Natural Living Ideas